A ski mountaineer, who worked as a firefighter in Tignes, was sadly caught in an avalanche yesterday evening in the Clou Valley, near Sainte Foy
The man, an aspirant guide, was apparently out climbing with a friend, and had set a new route on the pointe des Mines that morning.
When they came to return home at around 6pm an avalanche swept him around 400m down the mountain and over a 50m rock ledge.
Unfortunately his friend had no signal on his mobile and had to descend further to raise the alarm. By the time rescuers arrived on scene the man had sadly already died.
Our thoughts are with his family and friends.
More Tignes Insights...
- A farewell to the 2019/20 ski season in Tignes
- French ski areas close on 15th March 2020
- Introducing Huski - A meal delivery company in Tignes
- Tignes Dump Alert - 6th March 2020
- Tignes Dump Alert - 27th February 2020
- Blue skies & some fresh snow in Tignes